Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Men's Soccer: Loyola v. UNC Greensboro, 2nd Round, College Cup

How’s this for last minute… At 5:00pm I am writing from Boulder Café on the campus of Loyola College as I countdown to the first game of what I hope is a deep run in the NCAA Tournament for the Greyhounds. I’ve called this game the biggest on the Evergreen Campus in some years – translation – since the fall of ’04, my first semester at Loyola. Needless to say I got some energy following through the veins, then again, I’ll need it with game time temps dipping in the lower 40’s.

Attendance figures should be interesting to see, but what’s more important is that the crowd feels large. The Greyhounds always protect their turf well and here’s a little tidbit for you - Loyola has not lost on Diane Geppi-Aikens Field since October 29, 2006. Impressive stuff.

Prediction: The Greyhounds march on. This season will not end this way. UNC Greensboro has been tremendously inconsistent all season long, and I don’t think they can keep playing above their heads the way they have of late. Conversely, Loyola will be on the tops of their game and surely be refocused after a suffering their first loss of the season last time out. The home field means a load in tournament match-ups so I’ll take Loyola 2-0. Darvill and Bannister… Kocic with the shutout.

No comments: